Specific Community Projects and the Importance of them at PMS

Emerson Jerabek, Contributor, 8th grade

The Pelham Middle School goal is to have 8th Grade Students graduate honorably. To achieve this, 8th Graders complete an entirely student-run Community project each year. Pelham is a very welcoming town where most individuals cherish everything. The Pelham Community Project groups allow Pelham to come together more vigorously and can make an impact and difference. Each project is different, varying from cleaning up Pelham, to creating artwork or focusing on specific issues. These topics also let students become more dynamic members of their neighborhoods. Each individual activity has left a memorable and impactful lasting footprint. 

Projects are already in the run, and many events have occurred this year that have affected the community of PMS for the better. One activity that happened recently was on Valentine’s Day, which was spreading Cancer awareness and raising money for St. Jude. This was run by students Shiloh Castro, Sydney Comerico, Grace Ferreri, and Emma Namba. They performed a lollipop and gram station where students during any lunch period could come and buy a lollipop and write a note to someone for $1. They were very successful with their idea, raising over $200 in research for Cancer.

Another group project is working on the difficulties of education for children in Hospitals. This topic is crucial because it is proven that youths who spend a long time in a hospital lack the necessary education and fall behind where they should have been. This is run by Caitlin McGovern, Callie Pascale, Aine Proffitt, Nishika Singh, and Lilah Weaver. Some actions they are taking consist of going to Staples and creating a stand for anyone who wants to donate any school stationary; putting a box in the main lobby of PMS for any individual to put extra school supplies in; and they are running fundraisers.

The last project mentioned in this article is Mental Health Day. This is a day meant for 8th Graders in which every period, there will be a different activity that has relation to anti-stress and better mental health. The event is occurring on May 19th, 2023 (more info will be given out later). This project is performed by classmates Rachel Agbenyega, Amelia Blake, Lila Carpenter, and me, Emerson Jerabek. The goal of these activities is for students to have a mental break and realize the importance of putting personal well-being first. 

Pelham Middle School Community Projects are a crucial part of the school curriculum. They allow students to represent themselves as true members of the town. These projects have been and will continue to be significant monuments representing the love in the town of Pelham.